O How I love thee Singin' in The Rain. I remember my mother singing the chorus growing up. And when I saw the movie it quickly became one of my favourite movies. This is a movie I could not bear to never again. And I finally had the opportunity to watch in on a big screen with a small audience.
Singin in the Rain tells of a silent film studio and its two stars Don Lockwood and Lina Lamont (Gene Kelly and Jean Hagen) making the transition from silent movies to "talking" pictures. The one problem is airheaded Lena has a shrill, high-pitched voice that would make the viewer's ears bleed. (this was not Hagan's real voice, just an imitation for the movie). While on the way to a Hollywood party Don Lockwood meets and falls in love with an aspiring actress Kathy Selden (played by Debbie Reynolds who is Carrie Fisher's mom), which causes complications with his relationship with Lamont. They don't like each other but Lena believes Don is in love with her. Selden also agrees to dub Lena's voice for an upcoming movie. Also there is Donald O'Connor who plays Cosmo Brown who is Don Lockwood's best friend.
In that paragraph I cannot convey how the movie makes you feel. You watch it and smile from ear to ear. Yes there is Gene Kelly's famous number with the rain and the umbrella and the light post but one of my favourite scenes in the movie is when Don and Kathy first meet and during a car ride she criticizes his acting style and all movies in general. Lockwood's fragile ego takes a blow. The scene is so truthful as to how actors actually are.
A lot has been written about Singin' in the Rain. Some people really don't like the Broadway Melody sequence near the end. I do only for Cyd Charisse's dancing. For a while in 1950s musicals it became trendy to put in a long dream sequence that really had no bearing on the rest of the picture.
It is a truly great movie. See it. And that's a good ticket.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment